Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sheikh Zayed Mosque

Today was a big day. We began the day with a “Field Trip” to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. During the bus ride over to the mosque, I was in awe of all the construction going on around Abu Dhabi. It made me think that it was much like living in a house while the builders are still constructing it around you. I have never seen so much construction in one place.


The Mosque itself was amazing! Building began in 1996 and is still going on as they continue to expand. It was quite a beautiful, holy place. The columns, domes, glass, chandeliers, and tiles are all very grand. Here are several facts about it:  It contains the world’s largest chandelier, the world’s largest dome in a mosque, and it is the third largest mosque in the world.  I also had to dress in an abaya (black dress) and shayla (head scarf). This was required before we could enter the main prayers area.  Picture will be posted soon.

Afterwards, I found out my actual school assignment. I will be at an Al Saad, an all girl’s school in Al Wagan. It is south of Al Ain, and a bus will take me to/from school every day. By the Way-I was told that Saad means Happiness. I am sure it will be that way if it is anything like what I have experienced so far here in Abu Dhabi.

Tomorrow looks as if it will be the big day-the day I finally go to Al Ain. I will be staying in a hotel there for a few days, then back to Abu Dhabi next week for some more training and then into my apartment by the end of next week-Insalla (God willing)!

No comments:

Post a Comment